Thursday, November 5, 2009

First "Social" Smile

This morning was special...

Aliyah got up pretty early (around 6:15ish). She wasn't in the mood to go back to sleep after eating like she usually does, so I got up with her and went to the kitchen to make my coffee. While we waited for it to brew, we sat down on the couch to hang out. I was talking and singing to her, and she was looking at me, seeming to pay very close attention to me (much to my surprise!). Then all of a sudden, she smiled real big!! I wasn't sure if it was a real smile ("social" smile as it's called, ha!), or a "i-have-gas" smile; so I repeated the same thing over again. Talked and sang, and poked at her cheeks. Sure enough, she smiled again and again! It was so cute and special!

YAY for social smiling! Although she's been smiling since day one, not once had it ever been or seemed, intentional! I was soooo waiting for the moment when she would smile out of happiness, or because she thinks I'm hysterically funny! :) I guess that moment finally arrived! :) Yay! (Maybe not the part about thinking I'm hysterically funny, but I at least would like to think so!)

So yeah, fun times...thought I would share that.

We've had a good week.

Yesterday we took a day trip to New Castle, Delaware. Beto likes to try to make it at least once a year to go see his college soccer team play. They had a game in Delaware yesterday, so Delaware it was! We had a really nice time. It was about a two hour drive away and Aliyah slept basically the whole trip. So she missed the whole thing, but at least we can say that she went! :) Her first Nyack soccer game. Actually, her first soccer game, period.

Aliyah and I watched the second half of the game from inside of the car.
It was SO cold outside!

Also this week, we got together with a good friend from high school, Ray. He's out from LA right now, just wandering around the East Coast. We met up with him for dinner. Was great to catch up! It's always sooo great to see old friends, ESPECIALLY ones from high school. It's so easy to instantly re-connect! And reminiscing of those old days always brings the brightest smiles to my face! I'm glad Aliyah got to meet an old friend of ours.

No comments: